Akka is an open-source toolkit and runtime simplifying the construction of concurrent and distributed applications on the JVM. It implements the actor model known from Erlang.
It should also mention any large subjects within akka, and link out to the related topics. Since the Documentation for akka is new, you may need to create initial versions of those related topics.
Installation or Setup
- Install JDK 8 (Windows, Linux) and set the path (Windows).
- Install Scala (Linux), For Windows visit https://www.scala-lang.org/download/ download and install binary distribution, set the environment variable for scala in PATH which is in
- Installing Typesafe activator (It contains Scala, Akka, Play, SBT) + project scaffolding and templates. For quick start download the
- Extract the Typesafe activator and set the PATH to
activator-x.x.xx-minimal\bin(It includes the bash and bat scripts to run the activator).
- Time to create a sample project and import into your favorite IDE.
activator newin cmd/terminal.
- You can choose
4because Hello World example is based on Scala.
- Import the project to your favorite IDE and start with the Hello World example.
- Done !.
Download akka-2.0.zip distribution of Akka from https://akka.io/downloads/
Unzip akka-2.0.zip in any directory. (Example - /home/USERNAME/tools/akka-2.0) You would like to have Akka installed.
# First got to the installed location cd /home/USERNAME/tools/akka-2.0 # Export the location as AKKA_HOME export AKKA_HOME=`pwd` # Check if PATH is Exported. echo $AKKA_HOME /home/USERNAME/tools/akka-2.0
# First got to the installed location C:\USERNAME\akka> cd akka-2.0 # Set the location as AKKA_HOME C:\USERNAME\akka\akka-2.0> set AKKA_HOME=%cd% # Check if PATH is Exported. C:\USERNAME\akka\akka\akka-2.0> echo %AKKA_HOME% C:\USERNAME\akka\akka-2.0